Thursday, November 20, 2008

JACC not what expected........

JACC is a conference where community colleges from California go and learn more about journalism. There are a variety of workshops where professional people come and give seminars. Staff writers from the LA TIMES came and talked to students, and professors from different campuses also came and gave their professional insights.

Sadly to say that this JACC did not meet my standards. I did not have as much fun as I did at the State JACC. This conference lacked in the variety of workshops and the speakers that they had.

Don't even get me started on the key note speaker. Yes, the matter he was talking about was very intriguing and kept me informed, but he was so dull. It seemed like he lacked enthusiasm. I mean, if you're asked to come and speak in front of hundreds of aspiring journalists then you should be adrelanized.

There were a couple of snores among the crowd, which proved to show that I wasn't the only one who thought the speech needed to be more animated.

The only thing that I did like were the competitions I participated in. I was involved with the critical review and the feature writing. The one I enjoyed the most was the critical review. They gave us tickets to go see "Urinetown," which is by far the best play I have seen.

It made me almost pee my pants a couple of times.

A couple of the workshops were repetition of last conference, so I don't feel like I learned something new and different.

I just can't wait to attend the state convention next year, hopefully it meets my standards and more.

1 comment:

Reggie General said...

The Regionals are nothing like the State Conventions. They bring out all the stops for that one.
But I hope you gave some feedback to Rich, or your student rep. That is the only way it will get better. Writing a blog that only a weirdo like me comments on won't cut it.
See you at state.