Thursday, April 2, 2009

JACC Convention

Last Thursday through Sunday was one memorable experience.

I attended the JACC convention in Sacramento, California. This is my second state convention that I attend, and my third one overall.

For those who do not know what the convention is, the best way I can explain it would be a hotel full of aspiring journalists, reporters, photographers, broadcasters that want to learn more and get a hands-on in the field.

There is an website that gives more information, and future information about upcoming JACC conventions,

There is an array of workshops ranging from reporting tips, interviewing techniques, special tips for photographers, and workshops for those who want to be in broadcast. There is a little of everything for everyone.

One particular event that stood out to me occurred on Thursday night. In the Key Speaker event, one particular journalist by the name Marjie Lundstrom.

She won the Pulitzer Prize for her investigating reporting on the CPS in Sacramento.

Now she is a true inspiration to all, but it opened my eyes to a whole different aspect of journalism.

Like she said, investigating reporting was thought to be dead, but she proved the world otherwise.

Investigating reporting is an aspect that I am particularly fond of after this JACC convention. It shows to me that journalism is more than just covering the news, or maybe going to that special restaurant or play to review it. Journalism can reach in deep, and provide the world with knowledge that will either be good or bad.

I also competed in the feature competition. They took us to Old Sacramento, to the California Military Museum. The museum was amazing, but the lack of people to interview was disappointing.

I wasn't the only who complained that there was not enough people to interview.The main museum director was always busy and it was hard to get a question in, and then there was an older employee, who was also hard to get an interview out of him, and he wasn't even a veteran.

That was just disappointing, because I expected something better and more exciting. But like Mr. Cameron told me, each convention has its it good and bad aspects.

Overall, an experience to remember, one step closer to my future career goals.

No comments: